At the Draycott Hotel we recognise the impact of our business on the environment and are committed to conducting our business in a way that ensures environmental sustainability. We are members of the Green Tourism for London Scheme, which is the first independently audited green accreditation scheme for the tourism industry in London. The Green Tourism for London Scheme has over 150 measures of good sustainable practice related to running a successful tourism related operation. Businesses are rated according to the number of measures that have been put into practice.
In January 2013 we gained the Gold Award for 'Good Practice Throughout'.
In April, 2010 and April 2011 we gained the Silver Award for 'Good Practice Throughout'.
We are undertaking the following actions to responsibly lessen our impact on the environment wherever we sensibly can:
- We factor the environment in our everyday decision making at management meetings and with our Staff Consultative Committee.
- We are raising awareness and encouraging our staff to carry out more sustainable business practices by informing and involving them at induction and at regular training sessions.
- We are recycling paper, newspapers, glass, batteries, fluorescent and long life bulbs, cans and cartridges.
- We are operating a 'switch off' policy for office staff to turn off computer equipment and printers when not in use.
- We have reduced our usage of harmful cleaning chemicals and are using where possible more eco-friendly products.
- We are reducing our usage of paper by printing double sided.
- We will be encouraging our guests to explore the local attractions by public transport, bicycle or on foot by providing information on walks, cycle routes and cycle hire information and bus and tube timetables at Reception. We will be providing walking maps to local attractions in our room directories.
We will continue to:
- Use low energy light bulbs in public areas.
- Monitor our energy consumption of gas, electricity and water.
- Use electronic mail where possible to reduce the use of paper.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and taps.
- Buy in bulk.
We are working on projects to:
- Up-date our web page with green travel information e.g. local bicycle hire.
- Continue to reduce our energy consumption by 10% by looking at energy saving devices such as movement lighting, continuing with a roof insulation programme and working on long term projects such as implementing LED lighting.
- Use more organic produce, seasonal vegetables and local produce.
- Use recycled paper for brochures.
- Get involved in local community projects.
- Reduce water use by 10% by continuing to fit water saving devices in toilets.
- Donate bathroom products to local homeless charities.
- We will always comply with the law in all our actions and will continuously review our policy to improve our environmental impact.
The Draycott Hotel is dedicated to balancing our commitment to our Green Policy without compromising on the comfort, standards and enjoyment of our guests.
Green Policy for our Guests
We would like to enlist the help of our guests in achieving our aims by asking them to:
- Turn off lights when leaving the room.
- Turn off the television when leaving the room.
- Turn off taps.
- Limit the use of air-conditioning or heating and turn it off when a window or door is open to the outside.
- Leave newspapers out of the bins so they can be collected separately by the housekeeping staff.
Towel and Linen Policy
Our policy is to ensure that guests have a comfortable stay. Therefore sheets will be changed on every second day for a long stay guest and towels will be changed on turn down (where necessary) and when the room is cleaned. Guests are asked to place all towels to be changed into the bath.
If you have any books that are in good condition that you no longer want, please leave them on the desk in your room and the hotel will sell them on a website called zapper.co.uk. All proceeds from the sale will go to the Equal People charity - www.equalpeoplekc.org.uk
Keen to be Green- Our Policy
If you would like any further information about our activities see our Keen to be Green file in the Reception area.
Keen to be Green - Explore London
If you are looking for ways of exploring London we have a file in the Drawing Room which explains how to explore London walking, cycling or using London transport.
Walking maps to local attractions are available at Reception.
Keen to be Green- getting in touch
We very much welcome your support with achieving our aims and we appreciate any recommendations you have to further improve our business environmental performance. Please e-mail ideas and suggestions to Vahan Hovhannisyan Vahan.H@DraycottHotel.com.