We are extremely proud to have been named the ‘Best Eco-Friendly Hotel’ at the 2018 bestlovedhotels awards for excellence.
We believe that this shows our ongoing commitment to ensuring that we operate in as sustainable manner as possible.
Proud to be awarded the Gold Award for ‘Good Practise Throughout’, the Draycott Hotel ensures its practises are environmentally sustainable.
At the Draycott Hotel, we recognise the impact of our business on the environment and are
committed to conducting the hotel in a way that ensures environmental sustainability.
We are proud to be members of the Green Tourism for London Scheme, which is the first
independently audited green accreditation scheme for the tourism industry in London. The Green Tourism for London Scheme has over 150 measures of good sustainable practice related to running a successful tourism related operation.
The Draycott Hotel is proud to have received the Gold Award for ‘Good Practice Throughout’ every consecutive year since 2013.
In April 2010 and April 2011, the Draycott Hotel gained the Silver Award for ‘Good Practice Throughout’.
We are undertaking the following actions to strive to responsibly lessen our impact on the environment wherever we sensibly can, by:
- We are Factoring the environment in our everyday decision making at management meetings and with our Staff Consultative Committee.
- We are Raising awareness and encouraging our staff to carry out more sustainable business practices by informing and involving them at induction and at regular training sessions.
- Recycling paper, newspapers, glass, batteries, fluorescent and long life bulbs, cans and cartridges.
- Operating a ‘switch off’ policy for office staff to turn off computer equipment and printers when not in use.
- Reducing our usage of harmful cleaning chemicals and replacing these with eco-friendly products wherever possible.
- Reducing our usage of paper by printing double sided.
- Encouraging our guests to explore the local attractions by public transport, bicycle or on foot by providing information on walks, cycle routes and cycle hire information and bus and tube timetables at Reception. We will provide walking maps to local attractions in our room directories.
We will continue to:
- Use low energy light bulbs in public areas.
- Monitor our energy consumption of gas, electricity and water.
- Use electronic mail where possible to reduce the use of paper.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and taps.
- Buy in bulk.
We are working on projects to:
- Update our website with green travel information e.g. local bicycle hire.
- Continue to reduce our energy consumption by 10% by looking at energy saving devices such as movement lighting, continuing with a roof insulation programme and working on long term projects such as implementing LED lighting.
- Use more organic produce, seasonal vegetables and local produce.
- Use recycled paper for brochures.
- Get involved in local community projects.
- Reduce water use by 10% by continuing to fit water saving devices in toilets.
- Donate bathroom products to local homeless charities.
- We will always comply with the law in all our actions and will continuously review our policy to improve our environmental impact.
The Draycott Hotel is dedicated to balancing our commitment to our Green Policy without compromising on the comfort, standards and enjoyment of our guests
Green Policy for our Guests
We would like to enlist the help of our guests in achieving our aims by asking them to:
- Turn off lights when leaving the room.
- Turn off the television when leaving the room.
- Turn off taps.
- Limit the use of air-conditioning or heating and turn it off when a window or door is open to the outside.
- Leave newspapers out of the bins so they can be collected separately by the housekeeping staff.
- Towel and Linen Policy
Our policy is to ensure that guests have a comfortable stay. Therefore sheets will be changed on every second day for a long stay guest and towels will be changed on turn down (where necessary) and when the room is cleaned. Guests are asked to place all towels to be changed into the bath.
If you have any spare books that are in good condition which you no longer want, please leave them on the desk in your room and the hotel will sell them. All proceeds from the sale will go to charity – www.equalpeoplekc.org.uk
Our Policy – Keen to be Green
If you would like any further information about our activities, please see our Keen to be Green file in the Reception area.
Explore London – Keen to be Green
If you are looking for ways of exploring London we have a file in the Drawing Room which explains how to explore London walking, cycling or using London transport.
Walking maps to local attractions are available at Reception.
Contact – Keen to be Green
We very much welcome your support in achieving our aims and we appreciate any recommendations you have to further improve the hotel’s environmental performance.
Please feel free to email us any suggestions you might have.